Quote of the Day: Being Careful

on Sunday 5 January 2014


"Quite frankly, I'd rather weed out the people who don't start being careful early rather than late. That sounds callous,and by God, it is callous. But it's not the kind of "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" kind of remark that some people take it for. No, it's something much more deeper: I'd rather not work with people who aren't careful. It's Darwinism in software development."
-Linus Torvalds on kernel debuggers, Linux Kernel Mailing list

I'm a huge fan of Linus, but this solidifies his position as one of the greats in my mind. There's no excuse for not being careful and I believe its every software engineers responsibility to ensure the work they have done is to a high standard. Unfortunately, I've witnessed a workplace where the strong carry the weak, and its not good. The weak are not challenged and so become unhappy, and the strong get overloaded and become unhappy. I believe its every managers responsibility to kill this kind of behaviour early and without fail.

0 comments:

Post a Comment