Continuous Integration - the devs checklist

on Wednesday 30 May 2012
As I work through the book Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature) I find myself highlighting sections that I feel are extremely useful and important. I dont claim to know everything, I've only been in this field for 2 years and only worked for 1 company. My experience is limited but this book has proven to be a valuable resource - there are bits i disagree with and I will go through those as I progress through the book.

Here's a section the author discusses. When a developer is ready to submit a piece of work:

  1. Before submitting any changes a developer should check to see if a build is currently in the "Successful" status. If not, a developer should assist in fixing a build before submitting new code.
  2. If the status is currently "Successful", a developer should rebase his/her personal workspace to this configuration.
  3. Build and test locally to ensure update doesn't break developers functionality.
  4. If Successful, check in new code.
  5. Allow CI to complete with new changes.
  6. If build fails, stop and fix on developers machine. Return to step 3.
  7. If build passes, continue to next work item.

0 comments:

Post a Comment